Special Offer! Apply for full accreditation and receive 20% off your annual licence fee!
Hurry as offer expires 31 March 2017!
The Dining Out Programme (DOP) is a training and accreditation programme for the hospitality and catering industry to ensure gluten free food is produced and served safely for coeliac and gluten free diners.
Eating away from home is one of the biggest challenges for people living with coeliac disease. Many New Zealand food businesses now offer gluten free (GF) options, but research by Coeliac New Zealand (CNZ) has found that huge differences in GF practices, within the industry, has resulted in gluten free consumers not being able to trust a ‘GF’ label alone.
The DOP provides education, training and support for the catering industry on GF best practice. It also provides an extra level of assurance for the GF consumer via an independent GF audit and trusted endorsement by CNZ. Being an accredited venue will provide reassurance to a huge market of NZ and international gluten free diners that the venue has made an investment in providing safe gluten free food, and their condition is taken seriously.
Benefits of becoming an accredited venue
In summary the benefits of being an accredited venue include:
- The business will be promoted through all Coeliac New Zealand marketing and communication mediums, including a listing on the accredited venue Dining Out Guide on our website
- Use of the DOP certification trademark logo and on all your business marketing material, menu and promotions including a window sticker for your window
- An increase in loyal GF customers and the people they bring with them
- A competitive advantage over non-accredited businesses
- An assurance that the business is carrying out GF best practice
- Continued support and updates from CNZ
What does the business need to do to achieve accreditation?
- An agreed number of key staff must complete and pass the Dining Out Programme online training course. Key staff are referred to by CNZ as management,
and those staff in the kitchen and front of house who hold positions of responsibility.
- Additionally all staff members involved in the sourcing, preparation and service of gluten free food will require training, so they have knowledge
about coeliac disease and why best practice is important, this can be either via the online training course or via your own internal training programme (internal training needs to be approved by CNZ).
- Meet the standards in the Kitchen Safety Checklist and ensure GF best practice.
- Pass an independent gluten free audit*.
- Pay an annual licence fee to Coeliac New Zealand.
*Can be 'bolted-on' to your Food Control Plan (FCP) inspection/audit if registered with MPI. Contact CNZ for further details.
DOP Information Booklet & Summary Flowchart
For more information on the Dining Out Programme, including information on coeliac disease, the gluten free market and what is involved in becoming a GF accredited business, download our DOP info booklet or summary flowchart.
DOP Info Booklet (1018 KB)
DOP Summary Flowchart (300 KB)
Applications now open
If you are interested in becoming an accredited business please contact us on email@example.com, or download an application form here:
DOP Application Form (181 KB)
DOP Application Form (Word) (62 KB)
The Dining Out Programme has successfully completed a pilot with five businesses in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch. The programme officially launched on 25th July 2016. Check out our Dining Out Guide for a list of accredited businesses.
Help us promote the Dining Out Programme
You asked. We listened. We delivered. WE NOW NEED YOU to promote the DOP in your local community. If you want a restaurant, café, take away, hotel, caterer, school or rest home to provide gluten free best practice, and then we need you to tell them about it. Once their staff are trained and the business is an accredited DOP venue, CNZ can help promote them to increase their loyal GF customer base. Either download this flyer or contact CNZ to have some mailed to you.
Give this flyer to your favourite gluten free venues to get them on board the DOP!
Individual Gluten Free Training
Our online gluten free training programme, Gluten free food: Preparing and delivering safe choices, is available for individuals to complete. Whether you're looking to add a qualification to your CV or just want to learn about gluten free best practices, this course is for you. Find out more about the course here.
Winner of Fine Food New Zealand's 'Most Innovative Foodservice Product' 2016!
We are so thrilled to announce that our Dining Out Programme won the ‘Most Innovative Foodservice Product’ at the Fine Food NZ Innovation Awards on 26th June 2016.
Click here for further details on the award.
"Ballantynes is known for its customer focused service, which is why we feel it is important to respond to the needs of a growing number of our customers with these specific dietary requirements. We want their retail experience with us to be stress free; they should be able to dine in our cafes knowing we have implemented best practice." Ballantynes CEO, Maria O’Halloran