It can sometimes be a challenge to stick within your weekly budget when you're on a gluten free diet. Here are some tips to help you eat gluten free on a budget:
- Focus on eating whole, naturally gluten free foods such as rice, potatoes, veges, fruits, eggs and meat.
- Eat foods that are in season as they are often cheaper
- Try eating a vegetarian meal once a week and use eggs, cheese, quinoa, chickpeas, lentils, tofu or beans as the protein source instead of meat
- Buy in bulk. There are many bulk bins around the country or online stores where you can buy flours or other goods in bulk. There may even be a bulk buying group in your area
- Freeze baked goods straight away if you're not planning on eating them that day. You can always defrost them later and it saves wasting them.
- Cook from scratch if you have the time. And as an added bonus you know what is really in your food!
As a member of Coeliac NZ you will also receive a huge variety of food discounts and vouchers each year. Join today.