Helpline: 09 820 5157


Disability Allowance 

The Disability Allowance is a weekly payment for people of all ages who have a disability or ongoing health condition and need help with the additional costs directly associated with that condition.

You may get a Disability Allowance if you:
  • Have a disability that is like to last at least six months 
  • Have regular, ongoing cost because of your disability that are not fully covered by another agency
  • Are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • Normal live in New Zealand and intend to stay here

There is an income and asset test. It will depend on how much you and your partner earn.

You can apply on behalf of a child if they are aged 18 years or under and financially dependent on the person who is making the application.
You may be able to get both the Disability Allowance and the Child Disability Allowance for the same child.  You can't get a Disability Allowance if you get Board Payments from Child, Youth and Family for the child.

Allowable costs that the Disability Allowance may be paid for, specifically relating to Coeliac Disease, is medical fees and special foods - along with a list of other costs that may be applicable. Please contact WINZ for more information on this.

Visit the WINZ website for more information and to apply.


Child Disability Allowance 

Child Disability Allowance is a non-taxable payment made to the main carer of a child or young person under the age of 18 years with a serious disability. It recognises the extra care and attention provided. It is not paid to cover any ongoing additional costs associated with the child or young person's particular disability (i.e. not for food costs). Child Disability Allowance is paid at a set amount, regardless of the child or young person's particular disability. It is not income or asset tested.

You can be eligible for both of the above allowances, if you meet the qualifying criteria.


Childcare subsidy 

The childcare subsidy is for children under 5 years old.
Children whom receive the Child Disablity Allowance can receive a childcare subsidy until thye are 6 years old and my be paid for up to 50 hrs a week.

The subsidy will cease either when the child turns 6 years old or when they start school, whichever is the earliest. 
When a child for whom Child Disability turns 5 years old, they can either receive a childcare subsidy or OSCAR subsidy but cannot receive both.


OSCAR subsidy 

Out of School Care and Recreation (OSCAR) Subsidy is a payment which helps families with the costs of before and after school care.
Children who receive a Child Disability Allowance and meet the qualifications may be eligible.OSCAR may be paid for up to 20 hrs a week in term time or 50 hrs a week in the school holidays.

The subsidy will cease when
  • The child can no longer receive the CDA
  • The child turns 18 years of age
  • The qualifications are no longer met, whichever is the earliest.

Visit the WINZ website for more information and to apply.

Disability Assistance - WINZ 2015 Disability Assistance - WINZ 2015 (305 KB)